Data protection and recovery: Android
Lost memories are what makes losing a device all the more painful. Whether it's family photos or an old friend's number, when it's gone, it's gone. Luckily, this is avoidable as you can backup your data to cloud storage, so you can access it from another device.
On Android phones you'll be asked to log into a Google account when you set-up the device. Make sure you choose an account that you regularly use and know the login information to, as this will be the account you use to retrieve your backed-up data in future. Be aware, though, not all data is backed-up automatically so check your settings to ensure the information you want to access is stored. Here's how:
- Navigate to your Settings app.
- Select Accounts.
- Select Google.
- You will now see the Google account that your phone is logged into. (If this is the wrong account, go to the Switch Google account. section below). Underneath, there will be a list of categories of data you can choose to backup or 'sync'.
- Toggle the ones you want to backup.
- Once everything is toggled click 'Sync now'
- On Android, menus are configured differently on different handsets so if the above isn't correct for your device, take a look at your device manufacturer's support site.
Switch Google account
If you've checked your settings and realise that your phone is logged into the wrong Google account, follow these steps to switch to the correct account:
- On your settings app, scroll to System and select
- Locate 'Backup and restore'
- Under the 'Backup account' heading you should see the Google account you're currently logged into
- Tap on the account
- You'll see a message saying 'Choose backup account'. If you've logged into multiple Google accounts from your device before you may be able to choose the account you need from the list. If only the current account shows, select 'Add account'.
- Follow the steps as instructed on screen. Most devices will ask for your screen lock code and Google account credentials.
- Once logged in follow these steps again. On step 5 you should see the option of your previous account or your newly added account.
Photos and videos are backed up using different settings. To check these, go to your Google Drive app which is installed as standard on most Android phones.
- Open the Google Drive app, this might be in a Google apps folder.
- Click the three horizontal lines.
- Scroll to Settings and select.
- You will see a section titled Google Photos. Turn the Auto Add toggle on, to automatically save photos to a folder in Drive.
- Finally scroll down to Data usage.
- Ensure to toggle 'Transfer files only over Wifi'. This will ensure you don't use up your data by backing up files.